DOT approval for LED lights

I would like to find out what the approval process involves to legally
manufacture, sell and use aftermarket lighting fixtures for motor vehicles
(for DeLoreans in particular) that are SAE/DOT approved. I've wasted some
time searching the DOT web site and became overwhelmed with the number of
publications to refer to.

If we put enough heads together to find all the answers, then someone
somewhere will make these. And if no one else does, then I will (if I ever
get around to it). Until then I'm just going to cut & hack OEM fixtures to
retrofit. And that might end up being the final answer anyway.

So far when I pull up behind a Cadillac and see those new LED fixtures blink
so quickly on and off, I notice that condensate drips a lot faster from my
DeLorean's evaporator. i.e., the car is drooling in anticipation of
assimilating this new technology. :-)

Walt Tampa, FL