Tire Pressures Re: Mid_Atlantic Spring Social

Tire Pressures Re: Mid_Atlantic Spring Social

For anyone driving at sustained high speeds the tire inflation should
be adjusted. More important than tire pressure though is the speed
rating of the tire. In these cases I think a good investment would be
one of the new hand-held infrared thermometers so you can keep an eye
on the temperatures of the tires. I hope no one is trying this on the
NCT's!!!! Also watch the tread wear which is accelerated at higher
speeds and temperatures. The main point to my comments about tire
pressures is that most owners are cavalier about taking car of their
cars. The argument that parts are expensive can't explain the
inattention to correct tire pressures. Those four rubber ballons that
keeps the rims off the road with some air inside is all that connects
the car (and you) to the road!!!! Think about that the next time you
go into a tight curve at speed in the rain. This is what the problem
with the Ford Explorers is all about. The tires are near their maximun
capacity, couple that with low tire pressures (which reduce load
carrying capacitity) and the tires overheat, fail, and since it has a
high center of gravity tend to roll over (unlike our Deloreans which
have a LOW center of gravity).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757