RE: [DML] DeLorean Financiers?

I usually don't talk prices and numbers, but we are all D owners here
and know the cars very well. Hank's comments made me start thinking. I
have owned my D for 5 years now, and have not hit the 20K mark, and I
won 1st place in my category at Cleveland (those of you who saw me there
may attest to the condition of my D). I paid $14K for it and my repairs
for all five years to the best of my recollection have totaled less than
$4K. That works out to be less then a grand a year in repairs. I have
also put over 25 thousand miles on the car in those 5 years. Now these
figures are repairs, not restoration. I have chosen to make certain
parts replacements as I felt necessary that would add to my total costs,
but I don't believe that replacing all of the light lenses, recovering
seats due to age, etc. etc. BIG ETC. should be factored in to the repair
costs. These are simply things to make my car look as new as possible.

I am not saying anything more then what my history has been. I may have
lucked out and gotten a treasure, but then again Hanks sounded like a
sweet deal with his being owned by a Delorean dealer for 15 years, and
he has put in a lot more then I have in repairs ( no offence Hank, some
cars cost more then others to maintain. Just the luck of the draw).

I may not have the same past as Hank has in repair costs, but I have no
problem siding with him in the matter of financing a car. There is a
reason Banks will not generally finance a car of that age. My feelings
are, if you do not have the money in your pocket, wait and save it up
until you do, or rethink your purchase. These cars are unique in the
fact that almost every one looks new on the outside. It is what comes
up after signing the check that means the difference between a fine
maintained automobile and a yard planter.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure there are lots of others with differing
opinions, this is just mine.

Jack & Virginia Stiefel http://www.sacketmansion.com
1981 DeLorean Vin 3461 August 1981 Build
1988 Jaguar XJ-SC V-12
Live Internet Radio at 104.9 Radio Cape Vincent
http://www.radiocapevincent.com