Re: [DML] Sylvania Xenarc HID headlamp installation walkthrough

Re: [DML] Sylvania Xenarc HID headlamp installation walkthrough

Andrew,

You bought the same kit that I did for my DeLorean. I haven't installed
mine yet because what is in my car right now works fine and I have too many
other BROKEN things that I need to fix first.

I'm going to take a very different approach to installing my HIDs. I'm
putting both of the relays in the relay compartment behind the passenger
seat. Then I'm going to run twin power wires along the main wiring loom in
the center console and through the front wall on the drivers side. Instead
of drawing the power directly from the battery like you did, I'm going to
take it either off of the jumper post in the engine compartment or at the
bundle on the alternator or starter. I have had very poor luck in the past
by connecting cables to batteries that were not designed to be connected to
batteries. Heck, I've had a hard time even with connectors that were meant
for batteries! A little bit of seeping acid will wreak havoc on them.

On your installation procedure, you mention that the "bridge" to keep the
low beams on with the high beams is redundant because the DeLorean keeps the
low beams on with the high beams anyway. This is not how the cars were
wired from the factory. I'm suspicious that a previous owner may have
modified your wiring to keep them on.

I couldn't resist powering up my HIDs just to see how they work. The beam
pattern is very different from what I am used to seeing on American cars.
It makes a lot more sense and is easier on everyone's eyes. I can see now
why the European folks talk about having to cover part of American
headlights with tape to reduce the glare for oncoming traffic. With the
HIDs, there is a lot of chromatic aberration at the perimeter of the beam
pattern. This makes the lights appear to change color at a certain point as
you pass the car. I've noticed this a lot on cars equipped with HIDs.

Did you notice the perfume that Sylvania added to the packaging material?
For the price, they better smell good! :-) And since Sylvania & DeLorean
did joint magazine advertisements, it is in good spirit to continue to stick
with Sylvania brand products for the D.

When I install my HIDs, I'm going to install an electrochromatic rear view
mirror at the same time. This is the same model that came stock on my '99
GMC truck. To operate the built in thermometer, there is a thermistor that
mounts in front of and below the radiator, so since I will be running wires
in the area anyway for the HIDs, it makes since to install the mirror at the
same time.

Walt Tampa, FL