Re: Not so hot start problem

You should not be messing with the mixture adjustment screw. It is a
very sensitive adjustment so that 1/8 turn can mean the difference
between passing emmisions and not passing. Generally they do not need
to be adjusted. If there is an emmision problem it is usually
corectable by finding the problem and repairing or replacing it, not
"tweaking" adjustment screws. Now that you have moved it the only way
to properly reset it is to get on an exhaust gas anylizer. To cure a
hunting problem make sure the air flow sensor (the round plate) isn't
rubbing the housing. Next have all of the injectors cleaned and tested
so that you can get a set calibrated very close to each other. Do a
compression test on the engine and verify all cylinders within less
than 5%. Install new spark plugs and wires. Set the timing. If you do
all of this and have no vacuum leaks the engine will not hunt or surge
at idle when warm. Do not try to correct a hard start problem by
adjustments as there is no adjustment that will help unless the
mixture screw is WAY out of adjustment. Make very sure that there is
NO vacuum leak at the hole above the mixture screw, there is supposed
to be a tamperproof plug in there but I have seen golf tees, tape,
screws, etc and sometimes nothing at all!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

-- In dmcnews@xxxx, DHughes030@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 3/11/02 3:33:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> jtrealty@xxxx writes:
>

> > What do you mean by "adjusting the idle screws"? The 3 brass
screws
> > are supposed to be lightly closed period
>
> David, I am talking about the idle mixture screw on the air flow
sensor arm.
> Walt, I'm certain that the recent adjustment resulted in the
unmasking of
> this concern because I set the screw right a few months ago and
found that it