Re: Drive Axles thunking?

Couple of things to check for: After removing the inner drive shafts
do the carriers come off the shaft itself? If so then you have a
damage/missing snap ring, it's what holds the carriers onto the
shaft and that is what was casuing the inner drive shaft to move
around. Also I remember reading somewhere about the outer drive
shafts (mounted on the hub carriers) making a clunking noise and
there was a fix for it. If someone has the link to that website that
describes it please post it here.

If you are going to bring the drive shafts to be cleaned and repaked
to someone else have them inspect the inner parts of the drive
shafts (bearing, etc..) to make sure you didn't cause any damage to
them while running the car without the boots. Chances are you might
be fine if you drove 3k miles since the boot only keeps dirt and
water out and the greese is pushed into the breaings.

Steve