Re: [DML] The DMC as a Classic

I think Ken hit it right on the spot. The DeLorean is being recognized as a
classic more and more not only by the public, but by newspapers, magazines,
museums, and television. However, how do we directly deal with those
nay-sayers who just dont understand the DeLorean?

I have lived in three different areas of the country since I've had my car,
and every place seems to react differently as a whole to the car. When I
first got my car I was living in the Detroit area, and the DeLorean was a hit
everywhere I went. Many people there worked in the auto industry and remember
the car very well. I dont think I ever got a negative comment during my stay
there. I moved to Houston shortly after however, and as ironic as it may
seem, I got a lot of crap in Houston for owning a DeLorean. (Not from DMC
Houston obviously, they were always very very helpful) Every time I was
approached by someone under the age of 30, the first question they would ask
is "what kinda car IS that?" followed by "well why didn't you just get a
Honda Civic and put a fly body kit on it? it would be a lot cooler than that
old thing!" and that would just get to me beyond belief I hate to say. I
never quite knew how to react to that other than to laugh. Lol I mean
seriously, I wouldn't trade my DeLorean for a Ferrari, let alone a Civic. I
have been able to deal one-on-one with owners of other more "arrogant" makes
who almost feel outdone by the DeLorean and therefor have to bash it to my
face, but even they seem to understand its value as a classic.... but when
some 17 year old punk asks me why I chose a DeLorean over a civic, it just
makes me nauseous. I mean how do you explain to people the joy of owning a
DeLorean who just dont get what the DeLorean is all about in the first place?

I have since moved to South Florida where a lot of people have classics as
daily drivers, and the DeLorean always gets a lot of positive attention here,
both from the young who recognize it from the movies, and the older crowd who
are into collecting. Its always a joy for me to entertain questions about the
car, and show them the "ups" of the car. I even enjoy the occasional debate
over the DeLorean story and its capabilities... but I just dont know what to
say to those who bash the car with no reason.

Im just glad that the DeLorean is becoming more and more of a classic every
day. Hopefully as interest continues to grow, the car will receive the
recognition that it deserves from the rest of the public.

Just my 2 and a half cents.

Justin
5172