Re: [DML] A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boo

Re: [DML] A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)

> I'm really not sure how this could be done any differently, but if I've
> made a mistake, I'm all ears. :)

Have you tried putting the Motorola alternator back on to see if it still
works? From your description it sounds like you have everything connected
properly. What doesn't make any sense to me is how your 'dead' wire could
make the Motorola work at least half way but not John Hervey's. Maybe that
dead wire is a new problem that started during the swap. The wire connects
to the "ignition-on" through a light bulb in the dash. Theoretically, when
the alternator fails, it will ground out this wire enough to illuminate the
bulb. So maybe your bulb has an open filament. And then when you instead
tie the alternator's feed to a low impedance B+, it tries to ground it out
to warn you there is a problem. But instead this cooks whatever is left of
the regulator (in the alternator) while it makes a whistling noise. (This
is just a theory; I could be wrong.) I venture a guess that you have two
problems: a bad alternator and something wrong with your light wire. Also,
check your grounds.

John Hervey stands behind is products and is sure to have an answer for you
that probably makes my explanation a moot point.

Walt Tampa, FL