Re: [DML] Customizing a DeLorean

> 1. Updating engine - DMC Houston can take care of that...but any other
> ideas?

There is the Cadillac Northstar conversion for a mere $20K. Bob Brandys
used a Rover engine. I've seen people use Buick engines and another guy is
in the process of doing a 3 rotor Mazda engine with a Porsche 6 speed
tranny. I have mixed feelings about the Houston upgrade because it seems
like making a silk purse from a sows ear. But then that is a conversion
that will probably not lower the car's value like putting something
completely different in there.

> 2. Suspension - lowering the car is nice...any recommendations on shock
and
> struts (or any other improved suspension components???

Lowering the front is a must if you want it to look right and handle better.
It is sufficient to only replace the front springs, but if you are extreme
you can buy a complete 4 spring set from Houston. I'm happy with just
replacing the fronts with PJ Grady springs. There are several issues with
shock absorbers that have been beaten to death on the DML. Check the
archives. In summary: PJ Grady nitrogen charged/adjustable shocks rule if
you want to spend the money. Marty Maier has a great inexpensive
alternative as does Byrne Henninger (who sells it through John Hervey's web
site.) I'm not sure what Houston offers. Can anyone say? If you replace
the front springs, I suggest replacing the lower control arms with something
new or substantially reinforcing the OEM ones while you have them off.
There are issues with the trailing arm bolts in the rear suspension, but if
you are serious about customizing, a new stainless steel frame will make
trailing arm bolts a moot point.

> 3. Brakes - any ideas here??? Larger cross-drilled rotors? Any sizes or
> brands?

Larger is probably not an option unless you are a good machinist.
Cross-drilled was an option, but probably no longer is. Again, this is
covered in the archives. In summary, there might be front rotors still
available but the rears are gone. These were made by Powerstop/Auto
Specialities. They are noisy too. I don't recommend trying to cross-drill
rotors on your own unless you are a metallurgist. Marty Maier offers
stainless braded brake lines which is worth getting in my opinion.

> 4. Electrical updates - aside from the Zillas, any ideas for improving the
> Lucas design?

In the spirit of your customization theme, I suggest an LED 3rd brake light,
(or all LED lights if you can figure it out. Someone will do that
eventually.) Sylvania Xenarc HID headlights (I'm getting ready to install
that myself) and an electrochromatic rear view mirror (which I am getting
ready to do at the same time I do the headlights since the temperature
sensor for the 'on screen' thermometer mounts under the front grille.)
There are other fun things like remote door launchers.

> 5. Exhaust - IMPORTANT!!! Any idea of a borla or performace set up???

If you do the Houston upgrade, this comes with an improved exhaust system.

> 6. Air Intake - any K&N filters or cool-flo intakes???

Marty Maier sells an adapter kit to hold a K&N filter. Cameron Putch sells
a custom stainless steel air box. I have one but haven't had time to put it
on yet (or even eat anything today yet.) Maybe someday.

> 7. Wheels - I want larger wheels and tires (especially in the front)
17inch
> wheels??? and wider tires. Has anyone tackled this one??? I want greater
> roadability and looks!!!

Be real careful with this one. Again read the archives. In summary,
putting wider rims on the front may interfere with your steering. It does
on mine. What happens is that the wheels hit the sway bar. Even the OEM
wheels can do this. I'm in the process of having new sway bars made that
will allow for wider front tires & better handling in general. That should
be finished in a few months -- hopefully in time for the Memphis show. The
problem is that it is very hard to find aftermarket rims that have the
correct bolt pattern and match both the front & rear. The OEM front rims
are 6" but most (if not all) aftermarket choices only go as narrow as 7".

> 8. The question you will all hate - is there a method for painting a
> DeLorean??? Doesn't it involve acid etching or prep??? if anyone has done
> this let me know.

I've seen photos of creative things done with large decals. I think they
are still posted in the Yahoo Groups DML photo area. I'm going to try to
upload photos of my low profile rims there if I can figure it out.

> 9. Cooling system - any low temp switches or thermostats available??? HD
> radiators??? KEEP THAT ENGINE COOL!!!

Running an engine too cool is not a good thing. It increases emissions &
decreases fuel economy. If you do this anyway you may have moisture
problems in your crank case if it never gets hot enough to boil the
condensation out.

PJ Grady offers a heavy duty all brass radiator which is a smart thing to
use if you install a better engine. More horsepower means more heat which
means bigger radiator.

> I am very interested in sharing info on any ideas for making the DeLorean
> "better". Obviously, it is already a great car...I just want to update it
> more and make it more like the sports car it wants to be!!! Let me know if
> any of you have ideas and / or are interested in discussing ideas!!!
Thanks
> a lot and it is good to be back!!!

Cool, I'm obsessed with that idea myself. If I had more time & were buying
a DeLorean over again, I would buy one with a rust bucket frame & replace it
with a stainless steel one. With the money you save on buying a car with a
rusted frame you could put toward a stainless one. Besides, if you are into
horsepower you should consider such a frame built to handle it. (As you may
have already guessed, I'm having one made for my car.) Also, if you are
serious about horsepower, don't start with a DeLorean with an automatic
transmission. They are durable & reliable as long as you don't drive
aggressively with them. My first stage is to get my car running on the
stainless steel frame. Then I'm planning on swapping out my automatic
transmission for a Porsche 4 speed tiptronic automatic. I would rather not
do an engine swap until I have these basics debugged.

Walt Tampa, FL