Re: [DML] Customizing a DeLorean

Joe,
I honestly thought I would never be dumb enough to do this, but I
actually disagree with you on this point. I have done custom wheels
and tires on my DeLorean and not only do they look great but I have a
slightly bigger footprint with only positive results. I worked with
DanRC30 on this as well as Luke at tirerack. I chose 205/45 16's in
the front and 245/45 17's in the rear. Only 10mm wider for each tire
so no "real" gain on the contact patch, but if you crunch numbers it
is slightly larger. Both wheels are 7" wide. Luke made certain to
calculate out the diameter of the tire and matched the front and rear
almost perfect to stock, maybe waivering a few tenths of a millimeter
on the rears. Certainly not enough to affect handling or even the
speedo, although if memory serves me, the fronts were a perfect match.
I did have spacers machined out of bullet aluminum for these
particular wheels. That's also how I fit the 7" wheel up front with
no rubbing unless I am at full lock, so I always back off just a hair
in a tight turn.
Ok, so it's obvious I am not a purist. Custom wheels are not for
everyone, but I am very happy with the results. I've posted pictures
of my car in the photos section, VIN #16816. Again, Joe, I don't mean
any disrespect. You have helped me out numerous times with posts and
a phone call. I just view things differently in this area and I am
interested to know why. That usually gets me into trouble anyway....:)

Matthew
VIN #10365-looking for a good home
VIN #16816

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx> wrote:
> You said:
> "> 7. Wheels - I want larger wheels and tires (especially
in the