rust in the engine?

hey everyone,

i've had my fuel system, intake manifold, waterpump, and y-pipe removed from
my car since november, where it is sitting in a storage garage. i put duct
tape over the ports for the intake manifold, closed the engine covers, and
let it be while i have been waiting for parts and fuel system cleaning.
anyway, just the other day i was over there and took a look at some things in
order to decide what parts i need to order and i looked inside the
passenger-side hole where the Y-pipe connects to and was puzzled to see a
corner of something caked in rust down there! if you look down the hole, i
can see coolant about an inch down (of course) and i can see the corner of
something (the cylinder head?) covered in orange/brown rust. i don't
remember it being like that before! i thought this was an aluminum engine?
my parts are coming this week so i can put everything back together again,
and now i'm worried that something has been rotting in my engine while i have
it all exposed.

what should i do? should i put it all back together, put antifreeze in and
load it up with some rust dissolving coolant treatment, then flush the system
after a couple weeks? or should i just pretend i didn't see it?

also, the driver's side is a little rusty but not as bad.

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102