Re: [DML] HID headlight wiring

> I got a pair of HID for my sons 75 olds. It said that I did not have to
upgrade the
> wiring because the HID light actually draw less amps than a standard
headlight once they
> warm up in a few seconds.
>
> You might want to check this out. It would save a lot of work.

Bob,

I've thought a lot about this. After all, the Xenarcs come with 16 gauge
wire running to each ballast which seems pretty light. But in contrast,
each ballast is switched on with its own Bosch-style 30A relay. They are
also fused at 20A each. According to the manual, nominal current draw is
3.5A each, but start up current is 15.0A. So once the lights are on and
warmed up, current draw is not a problem, but my concern is at initial
startup. I'm worried that switching both ballasts through one relay would
be too much after several 'on' cycles. Considering that and the similar
mistake that DeLorean made in the radiator fan circuit, I don't want to
repeat their error with the headlights. I'm planning on wiring it pretty
close to the way Sylvania suggests. Only I would rather put the relays in
the relay compartment instead of in the front of the car. For now it looks
like I'm going to run two new power leads (one for each ballast) up to the
front of the main wiring harness. Then I'll put a plug/socket which will
continue the run to each ballast. The grounds would be taken off of the
common spot inside the left wheel.

But before I do this, I'm going to make you some convex mirrors! I promise
:-)

Walt Tampa, FL