Re: too cool cooling, stuck thermostat?!

Re: too cool cooling, stuck thermostat?!

It could be a stuck thermostat or it could be something in the cooling
fan circuit that keeps the fans running constantly. The cooling fans
should cycle and if the car is running that cool the fans should be
off. Another possibility is your temp gauge is not reading correctly.
You can check this quickly by just putting your hand on the hose by
the pump. It should be hot enough that you can't keep your hand on
very long. A Volvo dealer should be able to get you a replacement or
any large auto store that has a large stock of import parts. Don't
forget you will also need a gasket. The thermostat can be removed and
tested. You stick it in some water with a thermometer and heat the
water up. It should be closed to start and open somewhere close to the
temp stamped on it. Maybe someone removed the thermostat and now you
don't even have one! It is important for the car to operate at the
correct temperature. Running too cold ruins the mileage and because
the clearances are "open" ie: running too cold they don't close up so
the oil gets diluted from combustion products getting into the
crankcase accelerating wear.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1@xxxx> wrote:
> It seems as though I may have a stuck open thermostat. Durring these
colder months my water temp never goes above that 160 degree mark
between zero and 220 degrees. And in the summer it bearly goes above
it and stays around 170 or 180 max. It doesn't take too long to warm
up to that point, but I think it takes longer than it should. I could
stand to put in a new thermostat anyway and wondered if any of you
know what car I can say it is out of so I can hopefully get one