Re: brake runout specs

On 22-12-2001 18:14, Walter wrote:

> Question 1: What is the maximum allowable brake runout on the rotors?
> I'm almost to the point of putting the car back on the ground,
> but I've noticed that both my new rear rotors appear to have around
> 1mm wobble inside the calipers. This seems to be excessive to me,
> but I would like to know anyone else's opinion.

I've searched the WorkShop Manual, but didn't find any info.
But I happen to have the WorkShop Manual for my Escort too!
For my Escort the maximum allowable runout/wobble is 0,15mm.
An Escort doesn't have such a sophisticated brake-system,
since it's a "normal" car, not "high performance" like our DeLoreans
are supposed to be... (it only has disks on the front...

Judging by this I would guess thet 1mm is WAY too much!
Either replace your rotors, or have them turned down.
Iseached the back issues and according to a post by DMC Joe the
minimum thickness is 11,7mm if less you HAVE to replace them...

> Question 2: Will moderate rotor runout cause
> premature wear to the calipers?

I'm not sure, but my feeling says it will...
My feeling also says it could cause extra stresses on the
mountings for the caliper, which could result in having to
replace the knuckle (front) or hub carrier (rear).
I can tell you: those are EXPENSIVE parts...

And last, but certainly not least: having pulsating brakes
is not only annoying, but can be very dangerous too!

If I were you I'd certainly do something about it,
especially sinces you allready have everything apart!

Good luck and best wishes for 2002,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000