Re: [DML] Auto tranny problems!

Adam,

>The governor is mounted external of the transmission,
I just have to remove the right whell right?

You mean the right wheel? No. It isn't in the way. And yes, the module
unbolts from the passenger side of the tranny.

>Do I have to open the transmission at all to remove the governor, or does
it
just unplug?

This question has two answers. If you want to remove the entire computer
governor assembly then yes you will need to drop the pan. You would do it
this way if you bought a new computer governor assembly and were installing
all of it. But if you only want replace the bad capacitors then it is not
necessary to drop the pan. The part you need to access unbolts from the
side of the transmission. Then you need to unthread and disconnect the
cables that go up to the other part of the computer governor assembly which
is mounted on the firewall.

>Has anyone else made Mark's fixes to their tranny comps?

I opted to replace my computer governor assembly with a better designed one
from PJ Grady. I went this route because at the time I didn't have any
clear instructions on what all needed to be done to upgrade the old module.
If I were doing it again, I would fix my old module and save a few hundred
dollars. My next tranny project is to replace it with a Porsche 4 speed
Tiptronic.)

>If so what kind of capacitors did you use and where did you get them?

They are common parts available at Radio Shack. The higher the voltage
rating the better (within reason). If you search the DML archives, you will
find plenty of info on all of this. Otherwise let me know and I'll e-mail
you some of the same text that I keep on my hard drive (if I can find it).
While you are into it, it would be a good idea to install some shunting
diodes across where the shift solenoids could throw spikes into the computer
governor electronics. This info is also in the archives.

>Thanks, Adam 16683 damn automatic

You're welcome, Walt 03633 "blessed" automatic