Re: [DML] Torsion Bar failure?

This is the land of the free and home of the brave ... feel free to be
brave! The torsion bar is loaded with the door in the closed
position, and is relatively relaxed when the door is open. I
personally know of one car where both bars failed, a couple of months
apart. The failures happened while driving down the road with the
doors closed (obviously). The only challenge was getting the door
open to get out of the car. A strong guy can do it with a little
grunting, but if you're not so strong ... No other damage occurred to
the car. I personally have never had a torsion bar failure in my car.
I don't know of any injuries from a failure - the guy who owned the
car mentioned above said he almost had a heart attack when the bar
broke with a BANG just above his head. The bar does not fly off
anywhere, it just snaps, and then is relaxed. The failures are
actually more prone to happen in cars with deteriorated gas struts
because people tend to over-tighten the bar to compensate for the bad
gas strut, instead of paying the money for a new strut. "Pay me now,
or pay me later" is a good motto for this. Good fresh gas struts and
properly lubed hinges will keep the adjustments of the bars to a
minumum, which is a good thing. I very much appreciated the post that
gave the link to the Patent Office. I was able to read the patent
information, and these torsion bars are designed to operate at between
80% - 95% of ultimate allowable stresses. That is incredible! But
... I digress.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "at88mph" <at88mph@xxxx> wrote:
> All this talk about the torsion bars has got me wondering...
Between this and the trailing arm bolt issue, I've now gone
back to driving my other car. :-/