Re: [DML] dome lights... (door seals)

Wow, I'm actually starting to be able to answer questions on the car! Here goes...

First off, I need a new light for mine, but havent gone searching through scrapyards yet.

My top door seals were shot too, and I got a set from Wingray (DMC Houston to you),
complete with the stainless strip. Getting the old ones out, now that's tricky...

I used a sharp 6mm HSS drill bit in my hand-held drill. I made up a length of steel tube
with an inside diameter of 7mm to fit loosely over the drill, and that was not quite long
enough to completely cover the whole drill bit - about 2mm of the bit protruding from the
end. It's a good idea to make this too short and use washers to "adjust" the length of
what now becomes a protective shield as well as a device stopping you drilling too far
in... with me so far?

Open your door and lay a strip of rubber over the torsion bar to prevent scratching it.
You can now run the drill through the tube, trying not to rest it on the torsion bar too
much, and drill off the heads of the rivets. This can be tough if they start to spin - I
was glad of having a good drill with variable speed.

With all the heads removed, you should be able to prise the seal free - NB wth it popped
off, be VERY careful closing the door as you can jam the seal's metal strip between the
torsion bar and the door. I don't know of an established procedure for the next bit, and
although I managed without, I recommend you take the roof T-panel off first. The seals
come out through the gap between the roof and the top of the door.

Getting the old rivets out is the hardest bit, and the bit I've been delaying on! I've
bought a quality set of end-cutters and after getting two or three out, I'm going to have
to grind it down to get it narrow enough to get to the rivets at the front.

Replace with self-tapping screws!

Out of interest, Rich (#2727) got a set of these seals from PJ Grady and they came
without the metal strip. Mine got pretty bent on the way out so I'm glad I've got new
ones.

I hope this helps

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk