Re: [DML] Lowered springs - just the front?

Re: [DML] Lowered springs - just the front?

In a message dated 12/4/01 6:02:24 AM Central Standard Time, jwit6@xxxx
writes:

> I lowered just the front of mine with the springs Rob at PJ Grady offers.
> > use is the two piece type that
> fits on the outsides of the springs. You'll need to position them at about
> the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. There is just not enough room to use the
> internal type.
> Jim

Jim,

I need to disagree with you on this one. After having replaced 30 or so
sets of springs on Deloreans, many with Gradys 1 1/2" lower fronts, I have
found an internal front spring compressor that works better then any external
I've ever tried. The way the frame on the D wraps around the front spring, it
makes getting an external compressor on for an even compression very
difficult. This internal compressor slides right up inside the spring in
place of the shock and turns an all day project into a few hours worth of
work. Plus it's much safer, and you must be very careful when working with
compressed springs. They store enormous amounts of energy in a compressed
state and can be very dangerous if not handled safely.

Matter of fact, whenever someone gets a shock kit from me and I find out
they are planning on changing the front springs at the same time, I ship this
internal spring compressor along with the shocks for them to use and just ask
that they return it when finished. This compressor has been all over the
world over the last few years, and probably has more "miles" on it then most
D's.

And while we're talking about spring compressors, a spring compressor is
NOT required for removal and replacement of the rear springs. The rear
springs are easily done using some jack stands and a floor jack. The rear
springs are about a 15 minute project per side.

Marty