[DML] Re: Heated Door Struts?

Definitely not all door struts are created equal. The ones a previous owner
put on my car are charged very well, but they have no dampening whatsoever.
If I let go of the door, it bounces at the top of travel. This can be very
damaging. I've checked out plenty of other DeLoreans with better struts,
and some of them do a nice job of slowing the door down toward the end
before it bounces open. Don't get your new struts from just anyone. Be
sure you get yours from a vendor who sells the dampening variety.

I would love to see someone make a custom user-serviceable strut like the
shocks that PJ Grady sells. I hear that the door strut on the DeLorean has
a higher pressure in it than any other strut like it. And of course, the
higher the pressure gradient, the faster it will seek equilibrium (leak
out). I want to see one made with a Schrader valve just like the PJ Grady
shocks so that we can replace the nitrogen charge as it leaks out. Old
'wore out' struts usually aren't worn out; the gas charge just leaks out.

I would make these myself if I had the time. But for now I have too many
convex mirrors waiting to cut out for other cars, and I can't do that until
I get my brakes finished. So what am I doing typing now? Bye! :)

Walt Tampa, FL