[DML] rear view mirror (was Two-tone interiors.)

[DML] rear view mirror (was Two-tone interiors.)

> I recently did my headliners in black as well. I liked it. What do you
> mean by "prism of the rearview mirror"?

It's that little switch on the bottom center of the mirror that flips it
from day/night mode. The mirror glass is prism-shaped so that it will
reflect from two views. When aimed properly, you get a 'bright' view and a
'dim' view depending on how you switch the lever. The problem with the
'dim' view is that it superimposes a 'bright' view of the headliner. So the
darker the headliner, the better it works for night driving. I have had
other cars with light tan headliners and hated them for this reason. A
convertible with the top down is worse yet.

I'm going to install one of those electrochromatic mirrors as advertised in
either Summit Racing or JCWhitney. The one in JCWhitney is just like the
stock one in my GM SUV. I don't like it too much because the
compass/thermometer obstructs the field of view. The Summit Racing version
has the display below the mirror, and it has an optional dome light as well.
I think this will make an interesting compliment or replacement for the OEM
dome light in the headliner. I'm thinking about re-shaping my headliner to
get rid of that bulge where the dome light fits. It obstructs the mirror.
Either the bump needs to go away or the mirror needs to be mounted lower. I
see this as one of the refinements that would have been made to the car in
subsequent years if they stayed in business.
www.jcwhitney.com part # 81KS8437Y $248.95
summitracing.com part # CIP-36500 $229.95

Walt Tampa, FL