Re: [DML] Spirit of America

Walt - I told you not to panic! In truth, the flag on my car was
constructed in place using self-adhesive contact paper (made from
light weight vinyl). I started with a shopping bag full of rolls of
contact paper of the appropriate colors, and an idea based upon a
painted Vector automobile from the late eighties / early nineties.
It was painted with a stylized flag to promote the idea that it was
an American-made super-car. Does anybody remember those? Scissor
style doors, 240 mph, Keith Black aluminum V-8 engines rated at
nearly 1000 bhp. Sorry - I digress. The concept was confirmed after
the Sept. 11th tragedy ... I just had to make it happen! The blue
field was applied first, and then the car was covered with white.
The red stripes were added over the white background. The lettering
was done professionally by Fastsigns in gold vinyl. The stars were
hand-cut using white contact paper, and then applied to the blue. It
will all come off in the next couple of weeks, due to concerns about
the long-term effects on the 304 CRES. It needs access to oxygen to
promote the protective oxide layer that makes it stainless. This is
one of the unique features of a CRES body - you can create all kinds
of decorations like this that can be removed easily without damaging
the car at all. Cool, huh? You should see what the D looks like
with all of the necessary markings to be a Canadian Mounted Police
vehicle, complete with functional blue light bar. The real Mounties
really enjoyed it during a trip to Canada for a club rally. Here in
the PNDC, we know how to have fun!

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Darn it Toby! You have the writing style of Paul Harvey. Always
leave them
> wanting more; never explain everything until a commercial break.
Okay,