DML] Re: trailing arm bolt removal

I think this is a great idea but it could be expanded upon. When the
other recalls were done there was color-coding used so a quick glance
could tell a knowledgeable mechanic the status of the car. Also
keeping a paper trail of receipts is important. A good example to
follow is the aviation industry. A logbook is kept for all maintaince
performed so you know what was done, when, and by who. In the end if
you were to sell the car it makes it more valuable with a full
maintaince history. On my personal cars I find it very interesting to
see how long parts and repairs last. It can show you trends that you
might otherwise miss. IMHO if there was a DMC car company today there
would have long ago been a recall issued on the trailing arm bolts.
There would have been a written procedure and you would be required to
put a colored dot on the firewall to indicate the recall was done. If
I was to buy a Delorean today and not know the status of the trailing
arm bolts I would just replace them. On replacing the left bolt on
automatics it is not necessary to disconnect the brake line, just the
trailing arm from the carrier, there is enough slack and you can bend
the line a little to get the bolt out. Of course if the fluid needs to
be flushed out it would be a good time to do it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757