Re: DeLorean mentioned in Magazine

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "ian" <ian@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I quote the last sentences ...
>
> " He insisted on the gullwing doors which caused major engineering
problems
> and the car was pretty horrible. It was terrible to drive. Making
cars
> requires huge reserves of capital which he simply didn't have. I
really
> wanted it to be a success."
<SNIP>

That's odd. I belive in the book "Dream Maker", Giugiaro was quoted
as saying that he just looked at the DeLorean as 'just another one of
his designs'. In fact the only thing that he did like about the
DeLorean was the "Uniform Concept" of every car comming off the
production line looking the same with minimal options. Other than
that, it was said that Giugiaro didn't see anything special about the
DeLorean at all.

I suppose if you're surrounded by Espirts, and other exotic cars,
yeah, the DeLorean may seem like a step down. To be honest, that
comment about "engineering problems" is kind of an insult. The only
thing the doors needed to get the quirks out were the guide blocks.
And DMC had plenty of capitol. Granted it just didn't manage it
optimaly. To be fair, let's not also forget that Giugiaro is also the
guy responsible for the Hyundai Excel. And if you really want a good
example of a company that didn't have proper capitol to operate, take
a look at another Giugiaro related car; Daewoo.

-Robert