[DML] Re: fuel injector / HP Gains

Just to let you know, there is also a setup from the Alpine which is
6 single carbs! I was unaware of the cost for the 3 carbs, so that is
new info.

I believe it was said in the back issues some time ago that the CIS
system used on the DeLorean is capable of feeding a 250hp engine. But
with carbs, CIS, or EFI, one thing remains: The exhaust will have to
be modified. Don't get me wrong, the stock exhaust creates a nice
tone, and is well suited to the car. Or I should say rather for the
car designed for economy. But because of it's restrictions, it will
have to go. No matter what you do, higher compression, port & polish,
high flow intake, increased fuel delievery by means of whatever fuel
delivery system, one thing remains: You will have to remove the
restrictive exhaust & emissions control system.

Case in point. On pages 121 & 124 of the 1977-1995 edition of the
DeLorean GOld Portfolio, the artice states that the european version
of the DeLorean PRV is able to put out 156hp. This is w/o the
emmisions system. As a side note, it also states that fuel economy is
shot. Unfortunatly, there is no picture available of the exhaust
system on this engine. But if I had to guess, I would imagine the
catalytic converter has been removed, along with the LAMBDA probe,
ECU, and the frequency valve. On the DOC's webpage about the freeflow
exhaust, minus the muffler, this exhaust in completly redesigned.
Here the output from he engine is 167hp. In both cases, the amount of
fuel fed to the engine is increased. BUT ONLY BECAUSE THE EXAHAUST
SYSTEM CAN QUICKLY DISPOSE OF ALL WASTE FROM THE ENGINE!

Bottom line: With the stock exhaust system on the DeLorean, the only
adantages that I can see with the proposed EFI system would be for
fuel economy & cleaner emissions. If you want better performance,
start at the tailpipe, and make your way back. Granted if your engine
is out tune, an EFI system can make the best of things to give the
best performance/economy possible. But even then, the engine isn't
running up to par, so it will be technicly running worse than factory
specs.

-Robert
vin 6585