Re: plug on gearbox (was: My FIRST proper questions!)

On 02-11-2001 17:12, Dave Swingle wrote in DMC News:

> --- In dmcnews@xxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx> wrote:
>> On the very front end tip of the gearbox (manual) there's a cap the
>> size of a bottle top which is loose but won't come out. It looks as
>> if someone's tried to bond it back in using JB Weld or similar -
>> can anyone tell me what this thing is and what we need to do
>> about it?
> Uh Oh. There is not supposed to be anything there.

Couldn't this be the location for the speedo-pickup in the original
configuration (=front-engined, FWD-car) of the gearbox?

I remembered reading something like that, so I checked the archives and in
message# 17697, dated Dave Swingle (yes, you!) wrote:

> There is a location for a mechanical speedo take-off on the
> manual transmission, but it is in the area of the ring gear.
> Since the ring gear was flipped over in the transition from front
> to rear drive application, the back side of the ring gear is up
> against the take-off point. Therefore, the pick-up point is plugged
> in the DMC application.

I remembered, because it was one of my own questions that triggered that
particular thread. I was frustrated about the Angle-Drive system, since I
had to fix it then. I'm even more frustrated now, because within 6 months of
this +$300,- repair the speedo has failde again. I'm not sure how it's
failed yet; I'm going to figure that out this weekend.

Greetings,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000