Re: [DML] On Buying a DeLorean...BE CAREFUL!!!!

Re: [DML] On Buying a DeLorean...BE CAREFUL!!!!

I believe the $20K rule is a decent starting point, but you must
meter it with common sense. Having recently bought mine, for around
that price, I can tell you that I looked at several D's around the
state of FL. It's quite amazing what some folks "believe" their car
is worth. I saw one with a seat removed, the dashboard torn up, and a
motor that could barely run - and this person wanted $18K !!!! He
informed me that it was a "collectable" and the price was
skyrocketing these days. (fortunately enchanted, I may have
been...stupid I'm not!)

My 2 cents: use the knowledge and advice available from folks on
this DML, friends who may own a D, and good common sense. Don't be
enchanted with the site of the car of your dreams - but also don't
lose faith that you can find a quality machine.

Personally, I'd choose a car that is well maintained - with higher
miles. I'm learning how strong these engines really are.

Put it this way, it's a toy and a labor of love. Ask anyone who's
ever owned a boat how much money they invested intially, then
annually for maintenance. Then ask how many times they got to enjoy
it in one year. Arguably, you'll find your D is a better deal - as
toys go! And it has the potential to appreciate in value.

Eric