[DML] Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!)

This question came to me offline a little bit ago from another DML'er
who was concerned about rust. The spring should not rust inside the
gas tank. Water is what causes rust. Water can enter in the system
thru either a bad seal around the fuel pump, or from condensing out
of the air. The latter of the two is most likely to occur after the
car has sat for quite some time, with a ½ tank of gas. Components on
their own will not simply rust by themselves without water.

Rust particles can come from shabby tanks in 'no-name' gas stations.
Which is why you should always fill your car up at a name brand gas
station. And according to the back issues of the DML here, rust
particles can even come from the fuel inlet restrictor on the
DeLorean!

Another thing is that the guy @ Home Depot where the spring is sold
assured me that the spring is zinc plated. And even the package that
the spring comes in states that it is suited for "automotive,
outdoor, and marine useage". There should be no more concern about
the spring rusting then you would have about the fuel pump.

-Robert
vin 6585