Re: [DML] still the stupid clunk

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "K Creason" <dmc4687@xxxx> wrote:
> > My car does the same thing. I saw somewhere on the DML that
there is a
> ring
> > that can be screwed in further to tighten this up. I'd like to
learn more
> > before I experiment with it.
>
> I would like to know more about this too. I'd be willing to
experiment with
> it. Does anyone have an specs on this?

It's in the manual. Pages F:04:01 and F:06:03. The ring you are
talking about is bearing preload adjustment for the ring gear
bearings. The adjustment is properly made with the transmission
partially disassembled. Not something to screw around with unless you
have lots of spare money around. Set wrong the ring and pinion and/or
carrier bearings won't last long. Since the pinion gear is part of
the transmission lower mainshaft, messing it up generally buys you a
new transmission. If there is really something wrong here there are
other problems (bearings).

I HAVE heard of the splines on the drive flanges going bad, but that
should cause a noticable wobbling at the flange. This is also a
catastrophic problem since the mating splines are part of the ring
gear assembly.

I'd bet a LOT that this is not the source of your clunking noises,
unless of course someone else has already been in there, then all
bets are off. Your CV joints sound suspicious to me, it is normal for
that side-to-side motion but they should be absolutely quiet.

Dave Swingle