Re: [DML] On Buying a DeLorean...BE CAREFUL!!!!

Re: [DML] On Buying a DeLorean...BE CAREFUL!!!!

In a message dated 10/27/01 4:04:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
RJRavalli@xxxx writes:

> << So the rule of $20,000 needs further analysis and a new figure (much
> Higher) will likely surpass the "old rule of thumb.">>
>
> You're right, the "new figure" *should* be much higher, simply because no
> one ever really stops putting money into a car to keep it maintained and
> repaired! To me this whole "rule of $20,000" thing sounds a bit
> ridiclous. Even if you buy a $17,000 DeLorean, if you keep the car long
> enough you are obviously going to end up putting more than $3,000 into the
> car for repairs. To me this whole rule is a little silly and not very

Well, here's the thing.
it's supposed to start out with a decent, running, average condition car.
your total pay plus the total amount it will take to make sure everything is
properly upgraded and in good order PREVENTIVE MAINTENENCE-WISE, then it
should total up to about $20,000. you won't have a concours car but it
should be able to take you anywhere you want to go within a couple thousand
miles and not be worried about a breakdown. in my opinion, the rule of 20 is
only good for determining if a seller is putting a fair price on the car. if
you really know your stuff, you should be able to total most problems up
roughly in your head upon inspection of the car and then subtract that from
$20K. if what you come up with is in the ballpark of the asking price, then
you have yourself an average buy.

however - things come up. maybe the clutch wasn't bad when you bought it but
a few months later it goes out. well, there's another $1000 incl. labor to
chalk up! also, as average values of DeLoreans increases (as it probably
eventually will), the $20,000 benchmark will have be upped a little as the
years go by (because the purchase price will be increasing globally).

as for myself - i think i have about $20,000 invested in my car right now,
but that's for perfection. i still have some more work - i have to overhaul
my A/C system and my cooling fans and put an upgraded radiator in. also i'm
sending my FI system to Grady for cleaning and calibration. so i think i
will be around $25,000 when i'm done. will i think i got screwed to the tune
of $5,000? probably not! i'll consider it the price you pay for learning
everything you can about your car so that not only can you fix it yourself
but you can help other owners as well.

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596