Re: [DML] On Buying a DeLorean...a Primer!

Re: [DML] On Buying a DeLorean...a Primer!

>Best suggestion is get the latest one you can find,
> preferably an '82 or better, or if you find an '81 you like, it would be
> best if the VIN is 5000 or better. This is important.

I have to chime in here one moment... I certainly did my homework (about two
years worth) before buying my '81 Delorean, VIN# 1619, and I could not be
happier with it. I've certainly had some of the problems common to all
Deloreans, but by no means more than average.

It depends 90% on how well the car was maintained before you get it, and 10%
VIN number and year. In my case, it had 17k miles last spring when I bought
it, and now it has 24k miles. I am "technically" the second owner, as the
original dealer owned the car for the first 15 year under the original
dealer title, but in reality, I am the third owner. The dealer did all the
recalls and updates. I bought it for $16K and have put about $6k more into
it (not all necessary - about $4K was necessary, hitting the $20K rule dead
on).

As Les said, it pays to do your homework - mostly to be able to evaluate
whatever car you may find, regardless of Year and VIN number. Personally,
I'm very happy with my gas flap and hood lines.

-Hank #1619