Centerforce vs. OEM.

Before you can compare the two, it's best to know how they work to
find out what the advantage is.

First, the clutch assemby (face & spring) is mounted to the flywheel.
Next the clutch disc is attached to the input shaft on the
transmission, located between the clutch face and the flywheel. Quick
explanation: The clutch acts as a clamp. When the clutch is engaged,
the clutch will clamp the disc into place, and thus transfers power
from the engine into the gearbox.

When you hit the clutch pedal, the hydrolics in the system ultimately
push the "fingers" on the clutch assembly in. This then retracts the
spring, and releases the clamp to allow the clutch disc to spin
freely.

This may be a surprise, but the are made by the same compnay, Valeo.
Both the clutch assembly, and the disc. On the Centerforce the
differance besides some gold paint are the counter-weights on the
clutch. The theory is that centrifical force from the clutch spinning
forces these little weights outwards. By the way they are positioned,
the weights will actually push the fingers on the clutch outwards. By
doing this, the clutch gets 30% more gripping power.

So basicly, the only differance between the two are the counter
weights.

I've had both a new OEM, and a new Centerforce clutch in my same car.
I can tell you now that there is a differance. The clutch will grip
better on a higher RPM grab. This results in smoother starts on
hills, and with engine braking. Where I live, it isn't uncommon to
have 15mph & 25mph school zones on 45mph streets. So you have to slow
down to cruise by in either 1st or 2nd gears. So when my car is
slowing down past 15, the Centerforce grips quickly as the force of
the clutch disc begins to push against the clutch. It's less jerky
than having to "pop" the clutch to quickly slow down. I would also
imagine the quicker gripping also cuts down a little on clutch wear.

Bottom line: If you have a "weekend only" car that only see's light
driving, the OEM clutch is fine. And the same can also be said for
cars that see light daily use. But if your car is a daily driver
subject to stop and go traffic, and other taxing areas of the city, I
would reccomend the Centerforce. Especially if you are one to drive
your car a little harder than others. The Centerforce clutch is
great, but I wouldn't classify it on the same level as a Zilla
products, or anything else designed to overcome the a problem area.
It's a nice item to have, but it isn't a nessisary one. No matter
what you use the car for, the OEM will still work fine. Myself, I
perfer the Centerforce.

However, no matter which clutch you choose, you must also replace any
defective components in the hydrolic system. This would include OEM
tefflon line, and a leaking master/slave cylinder. If you don't
replace faulty components, the car will eat that brand new clutch
pretty quickly. I know. I wasted a brand new OEM clutch @ 2200 miles!

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Payne" <bpayne@xxxx> wrote:
> > i'm curious, what don't you like about the centerforce? it
doesn't feel
> much
> > different from the OEM clutch to me. i just replaced mine in
July with a
> > centerforce.
>
> Andy, honestly I don't have any experience with the OEM (Valeo is
it?)
> clutch. The previous owner had a Centerforce installed.
<SNIP>