Re: [DML] Sudden shifting trouble

In a message dated 10/23/01 10:06:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
bpayne@xxxx writes:

> Just a note, I had a similar problem on my last car, an Integra. It
> happened to be a piece of the friction disk broken off and floating around
> in the clutch housing causing problems. I also have a Centerforce in the
> DeLorean now that's only a few thousand miles old, however I don't like the
> feel of it. Has anyone had a problem with the Centerforce clutches?
>
> Thanks for anyone's ideas!
>
> Brandon J. Payne

Hey Brandon,

check your clutch MASTER CYLINDER too. look in the pedal box and see where
the clutch pedal goes into the rubber boot. does it look wet? if so, you need
a new one. often times when you replace the clutch and you put fresh fluid
in, it makes all of your old crappy seals leak from the thinner (clean) fluid.

be very careful with the car when you get a clutch problem where it begins to
grind a lot. i learned this the hard way. if you try to get the car into
gear and it takes a lot of effort, you should probably just pull over and get
a tow truck. it's very easy to bend a roll pin in the transmission, which
requires dropping the tranny and opening it to replace. very expensive.
you'll know you wrecked it when you try to put the car in gear and it goes in
but the stick keeps slipping back into the neutral position w/o the clutch
being in (normally it locks in place).

i'm curious, what don't you like about the centerforce? it doesn't feel much
different from the OEM clutch to me. i just replaced mine in July with a
centerforce.

does anyone know what can cause different types of clutch action in other
owner's D's? i drove another owner's car a few weeks ago and his clutch is
very soft with very little resistance until the very bottom of the pedal
travel, kind of like a brake pedal in a way. mine is almost the opposite.
it's very equal resistance until the end of the pedal travel is a little bit
easier. all of my clutch hydraulics have been replaced including going to a
stainless line, while the other guy's car is also mostly replaced w/stainless
line, but my parts are newer by an unknown period of perhaps years. i was
quite amazed to see how completely different our pedals are!

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102