Re: [DML] $62,500?

In a message dated 10/23/01 10:07:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
rivwindance@xxxx writes:

> For those of you that buy it for your ego, find a flasher car to get
> attention.
> For those who own and love the car for it innovations, expression of
> automotive art form, and sheer pleasure of driving it... $62,500.00 is cheap

Rodger,

I believe the above statement only applies to people who have more money than
they know what to do with (and from the DML, most of us still have day jobs).
i think what everyone is getting at is that you can get very respectable
DeLoreans for a quarter of that price, or you can get a DMCHouston
refurbishment for about half of that. what does DeLorean 1 do to their
restoration cars that DMCHouston doesn't do to their refurbished examples? i
wasn't at the Houston Open House where they showed what you get for $29K, but
i DID see Jim Reeve's digital video recording of the event and from what i
can tell, DMCHouston does a damn fine job - the underbody and all the
mechanics were 100% fresh, shiny, and new-looking. showroom condition!

the only thing i can see that would make D1's job worth more money is if they
do a frame-off restoration and they do something to the frame to make it
rustproof, such as galvanization. but is that worth an extra $30,000??? i
could do that job myself if really wanted to and had the time like others on
the list have done, or i could let some shop do it but it wouldn't cost me
thirty grand.

how much more 'restored' or 'new' are D1's cars compared to Houston's? we
have to know what exactly the difference is. a refurbishing job could easily
be a restoration job, what is the terminology to be used here, and how does
each definition apply to each vendor's work? in other words, you would have
to compare what exactly D1 does and what exactly Houston does.

in my own very personal and insignificant opinion, there isn't a non
gold-plated DeLorean on earth no matter how nice it is and what has been done
to it to make it worth $62,500. that's what the market it is, it's economics
- supply and demand. you can't sell anyone a DeLorean for that much money
unless they don't know a thing about the car and it's REAL values (which is
much lower than the majority of the public thinks). i would rather buy 4
used DeLoreans or two of Houston's if i had that much money to blow!

(and from what i hear, you aren't paying all that extra cash for their
friendly service, either)

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596