Re: [DML] $62,500?

I know that the comments are not directed any any one individual, but
to make a generalization that most DeLorean owners "...are most times
willing to give up the car for a pence." Is not a fair statement.
Even my outlook about selling my car doesn't apply to everyone. Some
are out there who have purchased DeLorean's, and will keep them for
many years such as myself. And others have/will decided to sell them.
Whatever their reason, selling their car is not a crime. And to take
it a step further, the price that they agree to sell it at really is
only their bussiness. But that's also a 2-way street. Demanding an
outrageous price for a car can also be just as hurtful by sheding a
bad light on things as has been done with other marquees.

I had a chance to sell my car a while back. A coworker knew someone
who was a car collector, and mentioned that I owned a DeLorean. The
man looked my car over one day while I was at work, and really loved
my custom interior and sound system. A day later, my coworker told me
about the man, and the offer that he had for my car. Granted I
wouldn't have made a huge profit, but I would have more than broken
even on what I put into the car. I declined. Not because the price
wasn't high enough, but I love the car too much to sell it.

Would I be willing to pay $60K+ for a DeLorean? Only if it was a
brand new car from Dunmury. Part of getting a brand new car is that
feeling of getting handed a set of shiny new keys, and stepping
outside to see your brand new car sitting their for you. That's just
not going to happen with a car that comes from a service center.

So the next best thing is building your own car. I'm not the first
owner, but almost every inch of my car has been touched by me in thru
the process of it's restoration. That sence of pride more than makes
up for the ownership history.

Selling a DeLorean for a low price doesn't insult the car. Any
monetary loss obviously reflects upon the owner. And even that
depends upon how the owner looks upon the situation. If they have no
problems with the situation, then nothing wrong has happened.

To put a flipside on things, think about things this way. Yeah D-1
sells cars at a higher price, and some owners try to boost the price
of their own cars to attempt to raise the "market value". But don't
forget about all us over here who purchased the fixer-uppers and the
clunkers, and the low priced D's. We purchased our cars, and by doing
so took these lower priced/lower classed cars off the market. Getting
rid of the lesser condition cars by reparing them, and bringing them
up to standard. We have done quite our parts too! :)

Now I could go on about other aspects as well, but I choose not to. I
really hope that this whole "Us vs. Them" mentality dies out soon. I
don't like where this is headed. First it was DOA vs. DML, next it
was "My car is better because I paid more for it". Now it's even
broken down into which technical magazine you subscribe too. The next
item I see comming is "Who's a better owner?" I can see people are
going to try and base this upon price paid, and vehicle retention.
How long you keep you car, and what you paid for it doesn't make you
a better owner/representative of the marquee. Neither does doing the
reapirs yourself, or taking the car to a renound service center. It's
what you put into your car that counts. If you're happy with your
car, the you are a good owner!

Let's not let the kind of "troubles" develope in the DeLorean
community that the original factory was trying to stamp out. This
whole situation is begining to go too far...

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Rodger I. Vannatter" <rivwindance@xxxx> wrote:
> To re-enforce senatorpack's remarks, my D is 5 years out from D1's
> restoration results and is still a very dependable vehicle. I did
own my
> car so price comparison is not the point.
> The point I would like to stress, which I have never understood
among
> Delorean owners is that they brag, strut, and express the
uniqueness and the
> value of the car they own but, yet, are most times willing to give
up the
> car for a pence.
<SNIP>