Re: Bigger Problem - Clutch

Jim,
Last month my D decided to let me know it was tired of not being driven
enough by blowing it's throw-out bearing. At least I assume this is what
happened. My bearing has made noise since I purchased the car several years
ago. I decided I would drive it until it didn't want to be driven anymore.
Well, wisps of white smoke, a burnt enamel smell, and an ear piercing
screaming every time I depressed the clutch pedal gave me that indication.
My primary reason for responding with this note is to let you know that once
my bearing failed, clutch effort increased significantly. My master and
slave are original and my clutch line is plastic. I've never before had any
difficulty shifting, but now once the car warms up, I get grinding between
gears. All of this leads me to believe that a failed throw-out bearing
causes extra resistance on disengaging the clutch which is likely why you
ended up blowing your slave cylinder.

Now for my questions to the list... my car has less than 50K kms on it (31K
miles). Since I'm going to be in there anyway, should I replace all of the
clutch items? I've already decided on getting a new master/slave and ss
line. It seems that while I'm in there, I should just do the rest of it as
well. Thoughts? Also, is there any auxiliary damage caused by a failed
throw-out bearing that I should expect? The car still drives (although it
will be garaged until it is fixed). I just want to get an idea of what I'm
in for prior to starting.

Thanks,
Eric Hennebury
VIN 17065

> Well, today somthing went horribly wrong. I was shifting from 2nd to
> 3rd, when the clutch had no initial pressure and about half way down
> had extremely high pressure.
<details of Jim's clutch woes snipped>