Re: inner door seal seam / new headliners (another long one)

Re: inner door seal seam / new headliners (another long one)

Hello again,

First of all thanks to everyone who responded; I'm putting the seal
next to the switches; that seems most logical and is supposed to be
where the factory put them...
My seals are brand new ones I got through someone from our club who
ordered them from the DOC UK (Chris Parnham if I'm correct...).

--- In dmcnews, Jim Sawyer wrote:
> I hope you trimed the headliner at the radius.
> The headliner hits (rubs)on the door seal and wears it out.
> Trim about a 1/4" off radius before putting neew headliner
> material on then the same problem will not happen again.

I had to read this post three times before I under stood which radius
I was supposed to trim... The third time I figured out it's the curved
bit of the shells the fabric is glued on in the doors that is meant
right? If so, no problem; the didn't rub in the first place...

What caused my seals to tear is quite simple:
one of the previous 4 owners re-did the headliners before,
but did a TERRIBLE job at getting it right...

- For starters he did only the doors and the front piece.
- Second he did all three pieves out of the car, without any extra
fabric to glue onto the body. Instead of this he'd glued strips
of fabric onto the body above the T-roof-shell...
- Third (and worst) was seating the seals in the wrong manner, which
caused them to sit NEXT TO the ridge the seals sit on in stead of
straight above. This way every time the door was closed the seal
was pinched in between the ss of the door and the ridge,
thus tearing the seal. This also caused my door to shift slightly
backwards when closing, making opening it a two-hand-procedure
(or hand-and-knee from the inside).

I've just finished glueing the fabric onto the shells and will be
putting them back in tomorrow AFTER I get me some sillicone-spray to
put on the seals (thanks for the reminder Chris) when I put them on.

So far I've had a great time working,
it's a great way to forget my troubled love-life for a while ;-)

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at: