Re: [DML] Crome powder coated rims

Walt,

I was the guy about a year ago who went through the crome powder coating of
a set of 4 rims. I had a local company in Rockford, IL called "First Finish"
do the work. We learned a lot from our experience. I am grateful First Finish
stead the course and stuck it out. My old rims had lost the original paint
from the rims and this caused a real headache. In their terminology they said
the problem was the rims were "Gassing out" The first two times they powder
coated the rims the flat areas around the outer edge and in the center near
the lug nuts looked like someone threw sand on the rims during the powder
coat process. Everything else (like the fins) looked great. Finally the thrid
time they powder coated they left the rims heat at 600 degrees for about 12
hours and this did the trick. The air that was trapped in the rims had to be
cooked out to stop the sand effect. The end result was absolutely stunning.
The color looked close to the S.S. finish and was a real eye catcher. The
cost per wheel was $10.00 for sandblasting and $50.00 for powder coating. So
for $240.00 I had a fantastic set of like new rims.

Bill