Re: Subs in back wall (was: Low profile subs)

Re: Subs in back wall (was: Low profile subs)

> I tried searching the yahoo groups web page, but couldn't find an answer
> in there. When I am ready to get a better stereo system in my car, I wanted
> to get 2 subs and mount them in the rear deck panel right below the rear window.

This has been mentioned before: a subwoofer needs a certain amount (and shape)
of space behind it, depending on it's specs... The rear wall would not supply
you with enough air behind it. I have my rear speakers in the back wall and they
sound OK, but they're not subs, so need less air behind them...

> Also, does anyone know of how much space there is behind the deck?

>From experience I can say there's about 1,5 to 2 inches behind the board, the
board itself is about 0,5 inch thick. The space betwee the board and the fire
wall is filled with foam for sound and heat insulation from the engine.

> And would it be a good idea to place the amp
> behind that deck or is the best place for the amp underneath the spare tire?

I wouldn't put the amp behind the rear wall: it's too hot behind there and
there's no circualtiuon of air possible, so it would thermal-trip way too fast
and too often...
The "under spare" option is also much easier to access when you need to tune the
amp or (for instance) replace a fuse...

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...