RE: [DML] Low profile subs

<low profile subs>

There isn't much depth behind the rear wall. Some people move it forward to
get additional space.

A few years ago, I had a local stereo shop install an 8" woofer in the lock
box behind the driver's seat. They made a new lid for the box, cut out a
speaker hole and covered the lid with gray speaker cloth. They used a tiny
mixer to pull the bass equally off of both rear speakers, and added a small
amp (both also in the box).

They also added a capacitor circuit to filter out the bass frequencies from
the rear speakers, but I think this could use some more tweaking.
See http://www.passivecrossovers.com/section05.htm
and http://www.ehow.com/ehow/ehowDetails.jsp?id=8448

The benefits are:
- Less load on my stock radio
- All the bass I could ever use
- No loss of room on the rear shelf
- No loss of bass if you put luggage on the rear shelf
- Less rumble from the rear speakers (from too much bass)

Bass is pretty non-directional, so the asymmetrical arrangement isn't a big
problem. As with any well-designed speaker enclosure, the lock box has a
rear opening via a baffle system. <GRIN>

Gary (at) IN2TIME.com
www.IN2TIME.com
www.PNDC.org
VIN 5612