Cooper Cobra G/T (was Last call for Yokos)

Peter Lucas wrote:

> A while back someone reported a rumor that our beloved Yokohama AVS
> Intermediate tires were soon to be discontinued. Apparently this has
> come to pass.

I have good news, for some of you at least. With the help of a car
enthusiast friend, I recently discovered that Cooper Cobra G/T's come in both
sizes for the DeLorean! I got a complete set and I am very happy with the
ride and performance. They are very attractive, with an aggressive tread
that is very similar to the Yokahamas.

I took some pictures of my Coopers beside a friend's Yokos at The Stainless
Show and Shine in London, Ontario a few weeks ago. It was hard to tell the
difference between the tires. Unfortunately, my pictures came out poorly. I
will try to take more and post them in the vault soon.

Unlike Yokahama, Cooper Tire is an American company based here in Ohio. They
are not far from my office. My Cobra G/Ts were less expensive than Yokos,
too.

Sadly for the speed demons, the Cooper Cobras have a speed rating of T
(maximum speed 118 mph), not V (maximum speed 149) like the Yokos. I do not
expect this to affect me at all. If my DeLorean ever gets close to 118 mph,
my tires will be the least of my worries!

Information available here:

http://www.coopertires.com/tire_cooper/passenger.asp?id=11

Specs for the two tires I got (I think) are:

P195/60R14 85 T 440 A B

P235/60R15 98 T 440 A B

As you can see, the Cooper Cobra G/Ts only have a T speed rating and a B
temperature rating, so don't take them to the race track. However, they have
a 440 treadwear rating, so under normal conditions they will last much longer
than the Yokahamas (160 treadwear rating). It is not surprising that both
tires have an A traction rating, as their tread patterns are so similar.

Cooper Cobra G/Ts are plentiful, less expensive, longer lasting, look great,
and have a wonderful ride for a daily driver DeLorean. But remember, they
are *not* suitable for anyone who pushes their DeLorean to its limits (or
beyond).

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 8 years