Re: [DML] Back on track! (update)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 srubano@xxxx wrote:

> chains. Oh and to answer your question it backfires out the tail
> pipe...but not a "bang" more of a hesitation "popping" noise. It

This sounds to me more like excessively rich fuel mixture than any sort of
internal engine problem - especially since in the absence of abuse the PRV
internals almost never go wrong, but the fuel system often does. If the
mixture is too rich then unburned fuel will go into the exhaust and burn
when it comes into contact with the oxygen in the atmosphere. If you've
removed your catalytic converters, the chance of this happening is greatly
increased.

Not that there's anything wrong with a leakdown/compression test anyway,
especially if you already have the equipment... valve timing could cause
the problem you're seeing. However if it were a backfire through the
intake I would consider it more likely.