Re: loose steering

The best place to start is to lift the front wheels off the ground and
while someone shakes one of the front wheels side to side you look for
lost movement or "play" in the steering system. Pay particular
attention to the tie rod ends and the wheel bearings (which can be
checked by rocking the wheel at the top and bottom). Inspect all of
the bushings and look carefully at the tires and how they are wearing.
Tire pressure is VERY important. At one of our local events on one of
the cars I checked the front tires had only about 12 psi! When I
pointed this out to the owner she thought it was supposed to have
32psi because that's what it said in the side of the tire. I explained
to her that is the MAXIMUM pressure but the correct ride pressure is
on a label in the glove box. (She never saw it in there!) While you
are at it with the tire gauge see if there is any presure in your
spare. The spare on the Delorean is notorious for leaking. You might
have to have the tire reseated and seal the bead with bead sealer to
keep it inflated. At 60 psi as per tire and label. Front tires 23 psi
rear tires 30 psi COLD which means before you drive on them. NEVER
adjust the pressure of a hot tire to cold specs! Check at least once a
month.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn@xxxx> wrote:
> Group:
>
> I know this has been adressed before (about 2 yrs. ago I think),
but, is there a test for the u-joints in the steering mechanism? Everytime
I drive my car I can't help but feel like it is not as tight as it should
be.