Re: Yet another Coolant Problem

Here goes my guesses so let me know how they turn out! Pressure test
the system and find and fix all of the leaks. I am guessing that you
have a bad radiater cap or plugged overflow tube because the coolant
system should never go below atmospheric pressure. When you go below
atmospheric pressure you are sucking air into the system so as often
as you bleed the system it will just get more air in whenever the
system cools down. If the motor was severly overheated you could have
a combustion leak into the coolant system but that can be checked with
an analyzer but it is not likely. The motor can overheat quickly if
the water pump gets airbound (a big bubble of air gets into the pump)
and cannot circulate the coolant (which is what sounds like what
happened to you when you stopped the car). In cases like this it is
usually best to just go over the ENTIRE cooling system from front to
back as it is probably all in need of some TLC. Remember that the
system is only as reliable as the worst hose because if there is a
leak ANYWHERE and the coolant escapes you have no cooling system.
There are a large number of hoses on a Delorean and on many cars they
are over 20 years old! Don't forget the ones under the intake manifold
that you can't even see! Don't think that installing the continuous
bleeder can fix this, it cannot.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757