Re: [DML] How the DeLorean's Power Locks Work.

Re: [DML] How the DeLorean's Power Locks Work.

Jim,

You said:

"I personally am skeptical of the locks "locking on their own"............."

I'm familiar with this problem first hand. Shortly after I bought my DeLorean, while it was parked in my garage, my wife arrived home after some shopping and said: "something is clicking inside your DeLorean". After a short inspection I could not hear the clicking. For the next several days, while driving the car, I could hear the clicking and noticed that the door lock buttons would move whenever I heard the click. Several days later I noticed that my DeLorean would not start due to a completely dead battery. After recharging the battery and reinstalling it in the car the door lock module started clicking and activating the door lock solenoids. I than realized that the lock module was activating without any intentional activation.

Over the years I have come across many similar situations, in some cases one of the solenoids would be frozen (burnt) in the locked position. This is the reason that we always disconnect the factory lock module, if it isn't already, when a DeLorean arrives at our facility for service.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv

Additional reading:
"Unlock Your Door Mysteries" http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/3755/doorlock.html

"We're here to help you"

DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxx>

.

I personally am sceptical of the locks "locking on thier own", but I
do have a theory that in a moderate/severe shock to the car, the
internal switch inside the door could bounce just enough to trigger
the lock module.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960