Re: [DML] Delorean galvanized frames (long post)

Re: [DML] Delorean galvanized frames (long post)

I can think of several reasons why you do not see "galvanized" frames
on cars. Galvanizing is essentially using a tank of molten zinc large
enough to immerse the part you want to coat. The heat can distort
large metal sections. As mentioned it coats threads (both internal and
external like studs), It adds weight, it is expensive and it doesn't
get into some areas well like deep recesses and when it does it
doesn't drain out well. There are not a lot of places that have tanks
large enough to accomodate something as large as a car frame. It is
not an inherently high speed process for large parts what with heat-up
and cool down into what is really a batch process. Most automakers
have gone to an e-coat process which is a paint process that you dip
the parts in and use electricity like plating. The other way auto
manufactuers use galvanizing is to use metal already coated with zinc
but you cannot weld to it without ruining the zinc and the fumes are
dangerous so it is used for panels that don't need welding. The main
problem with the epoxy on the Delorean is that as it ages it gets
brittle (epoxy is already pretty brittle to begin with) and cracks.
The designers didn't worry about the cars lasting forever, the epoxy
lasted long enough. Look at other 20 year old cars that were bare
underneath and you will see whole areas missing from "rustworm".
Considering what they did when the cars were built not too many from
that era even had paint on the frames! I remember passing auto
assembly plants and they stored the frames to be used outside till
they needed them and they were rusty before they even assembled the
cars! Today they throw a cheap black paint on them so they don't look
horrible when you buy the car. Take a look under a car 1-2 years old
and you will see rust starting to pop out around holes and at the
edges, how long do you think these cars will last? In 10 years there
will be rust everywhere. If you want a car that will last forever it
may cost a lot more! The moral here is if you want the car to last you
must flush the underbody to remove salt and road debris, inspect often
for rust and promptly repair any damage to the epoxy paint. If the car
was neglected the rust problem will be more severe especially if the
car was driven in the snow belt. If I was to assemble a car today
powder coating is the way to go.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757