Re: rough running and gas

You are correct that malfunctioning injectors would cause rough
running. It would be most noticeable at idle (as a hunting condition)
and less noticeable under acceleration or high RPM's. In general it is
not a problem with the pressure settings of the injectors although if
they are not all close it does cause the hunting at idle. The main
thing that occurs to the injectors is that the spray pattern is bad
due to dirt particles either in the exit port or on the outer surface.
Usually they can be cleaned up either with a fuel additive or by
removing them and flushing them in the injector tester. In my
experience when you have a problem under high loads (like
accelerating) then the secondary ignition system is breaking down
under the high load. In all likelyhood a set of ignition wires and
spark plugs will fix it right up in this case. On the subject of
hunting at idle, I have seen many cars with good parts or just
installed and they still hunt. On my car all of the fuel injectors are
very close in their pressures and I think that is why after my car
warms up it doesn't hunt hardly at all. There is no way to adjust the
injectors themselves but a though flushing in an injector tester will
usually restore them to factory settings.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Sean Howley" <tsuyoi@xxxx> wrote:
> I have a really wacky idea that has just popped into my head (you
know how
> those things are). On top of that, being not 100% certain on the
fuel
> injection system, this may not even be possible. But anyway, if
some (or
> all) of the injectors are misfunctioning in that they allow too much
fuel to
> enter the cylinders to be burned, you will get (1) poor gas mileage
and (2)
> a poor running - ie rich - engine. Now the reasons for this to
occur could
> be numerous, but possibly the injectors are misadjusted allowing
fuel at a
> lower pressure than normal to open the valve, the injectors are
simply