Re: [DML] Re: clutch

David Swingle wrote:

> Ooh - we may even have a moderator debate here. My observations on
> clutches--
>
> By the standards of other modern cars I have driven/owned (Acura, BMW
> etc) the DeLorean clutch is indeed "heavy". It's a matter of
> comparison. If you are comparing it to other old sports or muscle
> cars it's pretty normal. If you compare it to a Honda Civic it feels
> heavy. I've driven enought DeLoreans to believe that this is not an
> anomaly. They are NOT all the same, though.

Actually, I was exclusively comparing to 70s cars. My 81 DeLorean is the
newest stickshift car that I have ever owned, and will probably remain so. I
have driven many newer cars which had alarmingly light clutch action. For
example, the BMW Z-3 clutch is sickeningly soft. I would give more examples,
but too many comparisons would take us off topic.

Tyler described clutching his DeLorean as a "workout," which seems like a
sign that something is wrong. Even my '70 Blazer, which took ten times more
legpower than my DeLorean, was not a "workout."

I occasionally find myself wishing for various features in my DeLorean, but a
softer clutch has never been one of them.

- Mike Substelny