Re: clutch

Ooh - we may even have a moderator debate here. My observations on
clutches--

By the standards of other modern cars I have driven/owned (Acura, BMW
etc) the DeLorean clutch is indeed "heavy". It's a matter of
comparison. If you are comparing it to other old sports or muscle
cars it's pretty normal. If you compare it to a Honda Civic it feels
heavy. I've driven enought DeLoreans to believe that this is not an
anomaly. They are NOT all the same, though.

In the case of my own car, I replaced the clutch last year. In the
process, I noticed that the clutch fork pivot ball and the sliding
surfaces of the throwout bearing were completely dry. The rubber
cover for the pivot ball was missing, allowing the the grease to
deteriorate and water to get in over time. After reassembling
everything greased properly, the clutch action was much easier than
when I started. But still not up to the level of the other cars I'm
comparing it to. It may have something to do with the length and
therefore resistance of the hydraulic line. Recall that front-engine
cars have about a foot of hydraulic line, not the 6 feet (+ a bunch
of transition fittings) contained in the DMC.

Recommendation? Unfortunately removing the transmission for the
purpost of greasing the pivot ball and TO slide is way beyond the
scope of your average weekend. Generally if you take it this far
apart, replace the clutch assembly and you'll be good to go for
years. While your at it, replace the hydraulics (master, slave, line
if not stainless) and then you can forget about the whole thing for a
long time.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, graves_14@xxxx wrote:
> [Moderator Note: from daily personal experience, I assure you that
a properly maintained DeLorean clutch is very easy to use. Scotty
and Tyler must have defective clutches.]