Re: [DML] parking brake problems

Andy,
There are two areas that could be causing your problem, the cable itself or
the parking brake hardware. On the end of the parking cable at the rear
wheel is a post that attaches to one of the brake arms. Try to CAREFULLY
remove the nut (10mm) holding the post to the brake arm. It is possible to
twist off the threaded portion of the post here if the nut is frozen. Don't
use anything bigger than 1/4" drive sockets here. Use PC Blaster or WD40 to
loosen the nut.

Once the cable end is free on both ends you should be able to move it in and
out freely. Try adding some oil on both ends where the cable goes inside the
sleeve. If you can't get it to move freely you will need to replace it.

If the cable moves freely then you will need to disassemble the parking
brake hardware and clean it. You might as well replace the brake pads now
also.

[moderator snip]

> i lifted the handle again and the passenger
> side cable fell out of the mechanism. dang it!!!! but that just goes to
> show that the passenger side cable or caliper is hanging up. the
> driver's side seems to work just fine.

This is normal without the wheels on.

[moderator snip]

Dave Sontos