Re: [DML] my first real drive (not without its problems)

Re: [DML] my first real drive (not without its problems)

Todd,

The first thing that I would look for is a missing or damaged fuel suction
line. As the fuel sloshes inside the tank, the fuel pump is intermittently
sucking air. By the time you try to restart the car, the fuel in tank has
settled down to where the fuel suction line is totally submerged again.

As a diagnostic, you might try filling the tank completely to see if your
problems go away with a full tank.

For the helicopter/vibrating chair phenomenon, it sounds like you might have
a bad tire. Otherwise, perhaps this is another symptom of a defective fuel
suction line. Can you tell if it is the engine that is bucking or the
running gear? If it's the engine, then maybe the fuel suction line is
rhythmically collapsing.

The fuel smell is another problem. Here are some places to stick your
nose:

If you smell it coming from your exhaust, then you are running too rich.

If you smell it mostly from inside the car, then I would suspect a faulty
fuel cap. The proper cap for a DeLorean is not vented for vacuum or
pressure. If it is allowed to vent, then the fuel vapors escape, cool,
become heavy and fall down and get sucked into the a/c intake.

If you smell it mostly in the rear around the left pontoon, then I would
suspect a bad connection at the vapor recovery canister inside the pontoon.
With age, a rubber cap will rot and fall off. Also, lines can get pulled
off of the canister, but since it is concealed inside the pontoon, it won't
be visible.

If you smell it mostly in the front of the car, then suspect a faulty fuel
pump boot and cover. If these are original on your car, then I'm sure they
will give problems.

The sound you hear in the engine compartment of buzzing like a mad hornet is
good. That is the frequency valve doing it's job. Become familiar to what
it sounds like because if you ever stop hearing it, then it means you have a
problem. The rest of y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the frequency
valve supposed to run concurrently with the engine and never stop buzzing
unless the engine quits? I have read posts on the DML that state the
contrary. I understand that it is only the duty cycle of the buzz that
changes and not the whole signal that switches off.

Walt Tampa, FL